A novena is a series of prayers prayed over a nine-day or nine-hour period. During a novena, the devotees make petitions, implore favours or obtain graces by worshipping Jesus Christ and asking for intercessions of the Virgin Mary or a particular saint. Individuals may express love and honour by burning of candles or placing flowers.
However, during Novena, it is pertinent that individual, to fully gain the indulgence attached to the novena does the following things:
1. Trust God. When you pray your novena, say the prayers with faith in God and trust that God will give you the right answer in the right way. Do not pray a novena in the hopes of manipulating God into an answer.
2. Analyze your intention. Your intention might be an earnest prayer for direction when you reach a crossroads in your life, or it could be something as simple as an expression of great joy or great sorrow.
3. Focus. Regardless of what your intention is, you will need to keep it in the centre of your thoughts throughout the novena period, even when you are not actively praying.
4. Other spiritual practices alongside your novena. To further emphasize the seriousness of your intention, consider fasting or attending Mass throughout the novena period.
5. Stay committed. Once you decide to start praying a novena, stick with it. While there are no punishments for quitting halfway through, finishing the practice can be spiritually beneficial, regardless of whether or not your original request has been answered by the end of the novena period.